The exterior of the house is what first catches a buyer’s eye, but it doesn’t stop there. The paint color and pristine landscaping also evoke feelings that people often associate with coming home.
The outside appearance can set the stage for an emotional transaction- buyers may fall in love before they even step inside for their tour!
The American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA) recommends that homeowners invest 10 percent of the home’s value in landscaping. This investment can include structural features such as lighting, fences, garden paths, fire pits, and more. The ASLA survey notes a 94% popularity rating for outdoor rooms with fireplaces or ponds; terraces are also popular at 79%.
Landscape Feature That Will Increase Value
- Well Maintained Lawn You don’t know what you’re missing until a well-groomed lawn is in your sights. This exterior improvement offers homeowners many benefits, including quick and inexpensive installation with high returns on investment. Lawns remain popular among buyers because they make homes more appealing by improving the property’s look; providing children with a play area; and giving adults that sense of comfort knowing their yard will be relaxing to enjoy!
- Well maintained garden To keep your garden looking professional, remove weeds. For some buyers, they’re a red flag issue that signals problems and can make them think of the property as hard to maintain. This leaves the impression of an easy-to-maintain landscape when in reality it might not be so simple!
- Trees You may have a knack for finding the perfect item at just the right moment, but even if you bought it on sale there is no guarantee that your purchase will hold its value. Trees are an exception to this rule though. Not only do they provide shade and beauty to any property, but mature trees also increase land values by 3% – 15%. Studies show that having tall trees in parks increases nearby home prices as well!
- Pathways If you have a prospective buyer, what is the one place they are certain to tread? Up your walkway and onto your front door. Remember this pathway; it’s going to make or break their opinion of you as soon as they see it! Repair any cracks that will spoil the first impression by filling them in with fresh cement while there still time before showings begin. Consider making an interesting path using plants or a small hedge on each side for anticipation along the way up — winding paths create excitement when we know something awaits us at the end rather than just another straight line ahead without anything worth our attention until then. It doesn’t take much work either – use a pressure-washer regularly for effective cleaning away built-up dirt which can quickly turn.
- Lighting The latest outdoor lighting options have changed the way people light their exterior space at night. Solar-powered or LED lights are becoming more popular for giving a layer of security and showing off gardens, trees, and other items in your yard after dark.
Stop sitting on your hands, looking out the window, and waiting for someone else to do it! We are a team of professionals who can design any type of landscaping you need. If this sounds like something that is up to your alley then don’t hesitate- give us a call today to set up an appointment with one of our trusted designers.